Tuesday 4 September 2012

Don't hang on my words...


or my booklists, for that matter!

I have noticed that, despite deliberately not linking up to any other blogs, and holding it until the very last minute to publish my yearly plan, it has become the post with the highest hit in a single day.  How does that happen?

I am concerned that the plan might give my readers the wrong idea of our intention and approach, so I feel the need to write this follow-up post to clarify a few things:
1) I have deliberately placed emphasis on my intention to apply flexibility rather than rigidity in schedules, completion, "targets", time frames, and resources, which is why I have left many categories open to "various resources".

2) If you have been reading this blog for a while, you would know that even the most beautifully laid out plan of mine does not take long to change.  Last year, I had four months (September to Christmas) before I had to let go of my plan, this year it is changing already -- and we just started Day 1 yesterday!

3) At the back of my mind, I always knew that my published plan is but a back-up, contingency schedule that I fall back on if there is nothing else interesting going on.  Real life, when one is open to its possibilities and experiences, is never dull - at least it has never been dull for us, so I don't actually think that we will have to evoke our contingency plan much at all.  However, that is the only written plan that resembles some kind of structure that we do at home.  As veteran homeschoolers know fully well, actual day-to-day learning doesn't automatically fall into nicely-fit boxes or categories.  More often than not, learning appears (to the untrained eyes) to be slightly chaotic and random, especially for a non-sequential, non-linear learner.

Writing this blog is my attempt to present a framework/structure based on Tiger's learning experience, which in its true form is essentially more organic and much broader than it appears to be on this blog.  You already knew that, don't you?  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...