Monday 2 January 2017

2016 Recap in Photos

Looking back at 2016, I realise that our life has changed dramatically.

While looking through these photos, I could not help seeing that homeschooling was indeed a lifestyle choice.  There are many aspects of homeschooling life that I miss, such as the ability to control our time and to engage in many uniquely interesting activities.  Nonetheless, we are where we are at this moment in life, and I am grateful for the opportunities that we have been given to enable a smooth transition from homeschooling to 'normal' schooling.

Everything from September to December zoomed past in a blur for me, so it is important that I keep the memories of what life was like for us, so that I may look back and recognise that I actually miss a lot of what was so good about our homeschooling life (I certainly don't miss the difficult bits!).

January
Highlights:
  • Time: in nature, with family, with friends
  • Sports: table tennis, climbing, archery
  • Classes: Chemistry lab, model aircraft, zoology, English, History
  • Studying fossils
 




February
Highlights:




March
Highlights:
  • Time: in nature, with family
  • Classes: model aircraft, zoology, chemistry lab, programming
  • Studying rocks and minerals
  • Special event: jazz singing concert, short story writing submission



April
Highlights:


May
Highlights:
  • Time: in nature, with friends, with family
  • Sports: table tennis
  • Classes: physics lab, forest school, model aircraft design
  • Studying art
  • Field trips: Hertford Castle, Chartwell
  • Special event: Universtiy Challenge in Chemistry (First Prize)!




June
Highlights:
  • Time: in nature, with family, reading
  • Classes: physics lab, programming
  • Studying art, ancient history, geography
  • Field trips: quarry, geological excavation site
  • Special event: jazz singing concert




July
Highlights:
  • Time: in nature, with family, with friends
  • Classes: physics lab, astronomy, model aircraft design
  • Studying art, insects, circuits
  • Special event: jazz singing concert, model aircraft competition (First Prize), percussion concert





August
Highlights:
  • Time: in nature, with family, drawing
  • Classes: physics lab, programming
  • Field trips: Cheddar Gorge
  • Special event: 'geek' gathering



September
Highlights:
  • Started attending school.
  • Resumed mountain biking.
  • Attended another 'geek' gathering.



October
Highlights:
  • No photos!
  • I was completely overwhelmed by work, and was practically just trying to survive it so did not even think to take any photos.

November
Highlights:

December
Highlights:
  • Time: with family, climbing
  • There's an obvious theme in this year's Christmas presents....

There is a definite lack of photos now that we spend most of our week day times apart.  I am still not used to not being the main participant of Tiger's learning journey.  It is a bitter-sweet feeling for me to see Tiger diving into his new phase of life so readily and successfully, and I am certainly glad that he is so adaptable to changes.  While I always knew that my homeschooling journey would eventually end, I was a little surprised to have it come so quickly and so suddenly.

Everything happens for a reason.  I am just so grateful that we are all in a good place right now, having the experiences that we are meant to be having for this season of our lives.


Wishing everyone a very happy 2017.

    6 comments:

    1. Happy New Year. What a major change but glad that you are settling down with it. One of mine went to the sixth form in September. This was a major change even though it was planned for years in advance, we still have home educated children and he has settled in very well. Interested that you managed to find a job so quickly. Thinking about what I might do post home education is something that goes through my mind occasionally.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Sarah,

        Happy New Year to you too!

        It sounds like you've been through a similar going-to-school change in your household. Yes, the change is a big one, but it has to come inevitably, I guess.

        Many homeschooling mums make use of their years of homeschooling experience to be engaged in education in one way of another, post homeschooling. That was one of the options for me too. I don't have the stats to how many homeschooling mums return to their previous field of expertise when their homeschooling days are over, but my guess is that it is very rare that they do. I'm sure there are examples of those who do, though.

        Delete
    2. It looks like you're still packing in plenty of experiences even with you working and Tiger at school! I wish you all a wonderful 2017, Hwee.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Catching up with your news...My oldest also started school last September. The younger two are still at home but I think I understand what you're saying about knowing the transition is coming, but not expecting it so quickly and suddenly. Seasons, right? I need to also write a catch-up post...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Karen!

        Good to hear from you! Yes, change do happen indeed, especially with children as they grow up faster than we expect them to. Hope your oldest is enjoying school and have settled in well. It's important to enjoy each season of our lives because they are so unique.

        Have a good Easter!

        Delete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...